Wednesday 18 June 2014

Strength - Book #1 in the Mark of Nexus Series by Carrie Butler - 3 STARS

Strength by Carrie Butler
 
 
Three annoying Stars
Blurb - When college student Rena Collins finds herself nose-to-chest with the campus outcast, her rumour-laced notions are shattered. Handsome, considerate, and seemingly sane, Wallace Blake doesn’t look like he spends his nights alone, screaming and banging on the walls of his dorm room. Hell, he doesn’t look like he spends his nights alone, period.

Too curious for her own good, Rena vows to uncover the truth behind Wallace’s madman reputation--and how two seconds of contact had left her with bruises. Of course, there are a few setbacks along the way: guilt, admiration, feelings of the warm and fuzzy variety…

Not to mention the unwanted attention of Wallace's powerful, supernaturally-gifted family.

They’re a bloodline divided by opposing ideals, two soon-to-be warring factions that live in secret among us. When Rena ends up caught in their crossfire, Wallace has no choice but to save her by using his powers. Now they’re really in trouble. With war on the horizon and Rena’s life in the balance, he needs to put some distance between them. But Rena won’t let go. If fighting is what it takes to prove her own strength and keep Wallace in her life, then that’s what she’ll do--even if it means risking a whole lot more than her heart.

Strength is book #1 in the Mark of Nexus Series and the first book I have read by this author.
I liked this book, I’ve recently started getting into supernatural books and the more I read the more I enjoy them.
So the good bits...
·         Wallace, everyone things he’s a complete nutter lol.
·         I like the idea of the Dynari being like enhanced humans all with varying powers.
And the not so good bits...
·         I’m not that keen on Rena she’s supposed to be in her 20’s but she acts like she’s 16.
·         I’m not really feeling the connection!!
Now don’t get me wrong I enjoyed this book but sitting here writing this review is making me question a few things about it.
Not this is classed as a YA novel but so is twilight; the lack of sex shouldn’t negate the need for chemistry and desire.
This is my main issue with this book, I just didn’t feel it!!!
I didn’t particularly like Rena, she is immature and a bit of a pain in the ass!! But I didn’t feel like the really liked each other that much, although Rena was a bit obsessed with Wallace I feel like it was more guilt than anything else.
When the Nexus marks showed up they kind of just appeared on their arms but they never really talk about it really address what the hell they are,  I was not expecting that and not in a cool what an interesting surprise way.
The whole bond/nexus mark thing came out of nowhere and felt like it was just something to keep the plot moving.
I honestly don’t feel like Rena & Wallace had a strong enough connection and relationship, and then when the mark appears Rena is all like ‘I need to be with you’ etc etc I mean hell they hadn’t even kissed at that point!!!
The book then takes a huge plot leap and instead of being a supernatural blossoming romance, we are plunged into the middle of an X-Men style war where the supernaturals want to make human supernatural to create an army WTF!
This book lacks clear identity for me, I feel like it has potential and that there is an interesting story beginning to be told. But I’m not sure that the love story is believable enough to make this a romance and the action just kind of came out of nowhere so I don’t feel like this can be classed as a romance with some action/drama.
The declarations of love were just weird and to be honest it just felt like all of these emotions came with the appearance of the Nexus Marks and if they were to disappear I feel like all of the feelings Rena & Wallace have for each other would go to.
I didn’t hate this book in fact quite the opposite whilst reading it I found it entertaining and absorbing. Ironically the more time I spend thinking about this book to review it the more aggravated I have gotten.

0 comments :