Sunday 1 February 2015

***Review - The Agreement by S.E. Lund - Unrestrained #1 - 2 Stars***

***Review***

The Agreement by S.E. Lund
Unrestrained #1
2 Disapointed Stars

Blurb – Journalism graduate student Kate McDermott is a good girl who has done everything she can to please her very powerful and domineering father -- a Justice on New York's Supreme Court with hopes for political office. When she decides to write an article about BDSM in popular culture, she tells herself it's just research and nothing personal for she can't afford to become the target of gossip or scandal. She hopes that the carefully worded agreement she writes up will keep her relationship with the Dominant she will interview strictly professional. 

Then 'Master D' - Drake Morgan - walks into the interview and Kate is mortified for not only is he gorgeous, he's the son of her father's best and oldest friend… 

Drake Morgan, MD, bass player, philanthropist – Dominant. Known as Master 'D' in Manhattan's BDSM Community, Drake must keep the kinky side of his life secret to protect his very successful career as a neurosurgeon. After a heartbreaking divorce, Drake doesn't do girlfriends, he doesn’t do sleepovers, and he certainly doesn't do breakfast in bed the morning after. He keeps everything in his well-ordered life separate and under his firm control. 

Then Kate McDermott crosses his path and screws everything up. Now, nothing is neat and tidy anymore, and no longer under control for Drake is smitten and things are going to get messy… 


The agreement is book #1 in the Unrestrained Series and the first book I have read by this author.

Now normally I offer a star rating at the end of my review but I'm going to do it first for this book and then explain.

I'm rating this book 2 stars.

I want to say right off the bat that this isn't a bad book, it's not badly written or has any content that greatly offended me.

This book is about a Dom/sub relationship between Kate and Drake but as far as I can see Kate never actually acts in a submissive way.

I like kinky books, I especially like Dom/sub books and I've read a lot of them which is why the blurb on this book tickled my pickle to start off with.

What I love most is the intimacy between those two people when they are in such intense physical acts. The trust and love is usually so potent and addictive that I feel drawn into the story and the romance.

But Kate never trusts Drake, she says she does but her actions never back it up. The whole idea of a submissive is to submit to your doms desires but she doesn't do this either. 

Kate questions Drake at every turn, she most definitely tops from the bottom. 

She never gives herself over into his care and trusts him to his job as a Dom. She acts like she is; she says yes master and no master but is never actually submissive!!!!

My other issue is that Drake is not a very good Dom because truth be told he's not very dominant!!! His role is to understand his subs needs and fulfil them and yet he doesn't do this. If he ever actually understood Kate he wouldn't have to manipulate and cajole her into doing things she doesn't want to do. And as a submissive she should be in a place where pleasing her Dom and letting him take over becomes second nature and again this never happens!!!


For me a strong alpha man is what fantasies are made of but I would struggle to even say that Drake is alpha.

Now persistent I would give him points for that he's definitely persistent but other than that he just wasn't very convincing.

I know that this book, story and relationship is not like the full blown extreme Dom/sub relationships that can be portrayed in these kinds of books but for me this was more like talking the talk but not walking the walk!!!

For some this book will be the perfect vanilla insight into Dom/sub life but for me this just wasn't enough.

0 comments :